I’m just going to put some lists (NOT IN ORDER) out there, music I've been feelin over the past year.
These are things that are released or that I got my hands on in 2009. I play a lot of tracks that are older, and at some point I should shout ot those stalwarts in the collection, but I'm trying to stick to a theme here.
Folks whose music I love and rocked the dancefloor unstoppably, who I learned about or gained a new love for in 2009:
- Schlachthofbronx – Oh man, perfect party music
- Taal Mala – out of Canada, making some of my favorite dancefloor movers for the dubstep style
- Grievous Angel - some of my favorite takes on UK Funky come from him
- Ku Bo - continuing with that witchy minimal tropical shuffle sound
- Kush Arora - Surya Dub crew, forging his own sound in several directions at once
- Sully (hoorah for the return of the 2step!)
- Akira Kiteshi
- Bunji Garlin - one of the most fun vocalists out of the caribbean.
- Kill Frenzy - I think it's Belgium does Juke?
- Soundcloud discoveries: Flore, Gizmode, Ghost Hack, Sa’bat sound, Dmoefunk, blnd!
Tunes at the top of the playlist
- Sarantis feat. Honey Brown “Fall in Love”
- Murderbot feat Hawatha Hurd, “Roll another one”
- Babylon System “Get on up”
- Process Rebel vs. Sinead O’Connor “Vampire Booty Stepper”
- Robot Koch remixing Doshy
- Busy Signal “Up in her Belly” (Magalenha riddim)
- L-Vis 1990 remix of Untold’s “Anaconda”
- Boy 8-bit remix of South Rakkas Crew’s “Mad Again”
- Ale Fillman Skanker remix of Outrun “8 Bit Spliff”
- Reso’s Aguardiente remix of Buraka Som Sistema “Kalemba”
- Octa Push "Ai Nadia"
- Gizmode "Crackstep"
Stuff (Albums & mixes) I played at home and out and about
- Roots Uprising album – really solid fun UK Digital roots from the Reggae Roast ceew. Great vocals. Diverse styles. Super nice people throwing great parties in London, what’s not to love?
- King Midas Sound - the latest from The Bug/Kevin Martin with incredible mystery and dreamlike vocals
- Disrupt - jahtari continues to lay down 8bit roots
- Clive Hunt and the Dub Dancers - discovered in JA, published in France. Deep!
- Ras G - My favorite of this sort of psychedelic thing
- Filastine - nomad bass abounds in his mixes and albums
- Unsoundbwoy - australian stormer -check his lizardstyle mix!
- Foundation Stepper - Australian roots providers
- Dr. Auratheft's "Jamaican Soul Jazz Originals" mix. as on the label, lovely..
- Lowdjo - balkanotropical mixes galore!